Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Celebrate

Here's two dates to add to your calendar:

March 20th is the 40th anniversary of the publication of Eric Carle's classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. His later book, The Grouchy Ladybug is my favorite Carle book, but this one's pretty good too. Pick up a copy and get ready to enjoy!

According to readergirlz, April 16th is Support Teen Literature Day. I'm a big believer in YA lit, so I'll help spread the word (because so many people read this blog lol!) The purpose of Support Teen Literature Day is to "raise awareness among the general public that young adult literature is a vibrant, growing genre with much to offer today’s teens." I absolutely agree! There are some YA books that I still go back and re-read because they're so awesome and still appeal to me now that I'm adult. So get out there and read some YA lit!

To help you out, here's the 2008 Teens' Top Ten list. I can't vouch for all of them, but I know
that Laurie Halse Anderson, at least, can be one fabulous author.
  1. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
  2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
  3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
  4. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
  5. Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports by James Patterson
  6. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
  7. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
  8. Extras by Scott Westerfeld
  9. Before I Die by Jenny Downham
  10. Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Happy Reading!

No comments: